SHAZAM Community
Ask Your Question

Trouble importing MS Excel data files

asked 2012-11-30 11:32:01 +0000

Daniel OBrien gravatar image

SHAZAM folks,

I am having problems importing MS Excel data files into SHAZAM for data analysis. Under "SHAZAM Resources", in the "User Guide", and subsequent "Working with Data" section, I have been following the instructions in the "Connecting to Microsoft Excel and File Based Data Sources" section.

From there I make it through steps #1 and #2....

Step 1: Select 'Connect' under the Data Connector section of the 'Data' menu Step 2: When the Datalink appears, select 'Microsoft OLE Provider for ODBC Drivers" and click Next (see below)

However, in "Step #3: Select "Use Connection String' and press 'Build'", I run into problems. After selecting "Machine Data Source" and choosing "Excel Files" and pressing "OK", I have been receiving the following error message box:

"Microsoft Data Link Error."
"Operation cannot be executed because an error occurred during connection to the driver."

I think that for small files I can go around this data access problem and enter data directly into the "Data Editor". But it would be much handier to work up moderate to large size data files in MS Excel and then to be able to access them directly with SHAZAM. Can you give me some guidance on what to do to fix this?

Daniel O'Brien Extension Agricultural Economist Kansas State University 785-462-6281

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2012-11-30 12:06:59 +0000

updated 2012-12-01 04:45:54 +0000

The easiest way to do this is to open them using the Open button on the File menu.

In this way the file can be opened like any other file. If you then save the Dataset that appears in the Data Editor it will be in SHAZAM format and can be read in either automatically if you add it to your Workspace or you can do it manually using a READ statement e.g. if you need to apply formatting to the READ.

The driver underpinning the Data Connector is whichever is on your system. Please can you add a comment below this to tell me which version of Windows and which version of Excel is on your computer.

In versions 9 and 10, 10.1 and 10.2 if you do not have Excel on the computer you may still open Excel files in SHAZAM if you install Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). There is a Component Checker from Microsoft you can use for this purpose (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301202.

In version 11 or later SHAZAM contains native support for Excel on the Open menu but retains the support for ADO and ODBC as well as native support for Oracle, SQL Server etc on the Data Connector. Note that the Data Connector ships only with the Professional Edition.

edit flag offensive delete link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2012-11-30 11:32:01 +0000

Seen: 1,211 times

Last updated: Dec 01 '12