SHAZAM Community
Ask Your Question

Time-dating the X-axis when doing forecasting with ARIMA

asked 2013-05-03 08:57:52 +0000

Pantera gravatar image

updated 2013-05-06 01:44:05 +0000

Hi all,

I’m struggling with time-dating the x-axis. In connection to estimation and plotting the ARIMA-model (monthly data) I run into some trouble with time dating the x-axis. I use the order “GRAPHFORC”, and Shazam generates a nice plot which I can edit. But I do not find out how to time date the x-axis (which is the time-axis when doing this kind of analysis). The default-plot shows only an x-axis with numbers; 1, 2, ,,,etc. Frustrating when we prefer months and years on the axis? Well, I use monthly data, and I wonder; is it possible to include any suitable set-options in the “edit graph source” (or an alternative way) to solve the problem? Let’s say the observed data cover the period March 2003 to April 2013, and the forecast period ends the axis at January 2019.

Regards, P

Ps. The option “PREDICT” does not function when you want to store the forecast-values.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2013-05-13 17:55:48 +0000

This is relatively easy to do using the TIMEFMT and AXISFMT commands before a GRAPH command. There are some good examples on page 68 of the SHAZAM 11 manual...such as:

sample 1 1006
read (uscan.dat) date exch
timefmt %Y%m%d
axisfmt %y/%m
graph exch date / timefmt axisfmt lineonly

This example includes a seperator between the year and month on the axis.

If you have further problems, please post the code you are using and we will assist.

edit flag offensive delete link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2013-05-03 08:57:52 +0000

Seen: 770 times

Last updated: May 13 '13